College Council of U.N. Association Draws Representatives for Eight Local Colleges

A new organization for peace in the world met formally for the first time in Boston last night, as the College Council of the United Nations association with representatives from eight Boston area colleges, including Harvard, discussed their aims and laid plans for the future.

Official College representative on the new venture was Wenzell B. Bryant '50, also of the newly-formed United Nations council here.

The eight-college council also included M.I.T., Wellesley, Radcliffe, Simmons, Poston University, the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, and the Suffolk Law School, and was chaired by Benard H. Fox '39, who directs the activities of the United Nation Association in Boston.

Aims of the group were confined principally to furthering interest in the United Nations, and in promoting public discussion of the issues which confront that group. The College Council stands opposed to the world federalist idea, feeling that progress must come through the United Nations.

Two action programs were set up immediately at the meeting. One fixed plans for an "off-campus" speakers bur would take on requests for speakers channeled through the central office, Fox said that his group could use a practically unlimited number of such speakers to fill engagements.

The second program outlined plans for a series of monthly meetings between members of the Council--each college is asigned two representatives--and an equal number of young lawyers, doctors, and other men in the business world.