Committee Will Initiate General Education Study

Group Will Give Out Leaflet On Aims of Courses; Plans Survey of Student Opinion

The General Education program, as it now exists, will be studied intensively by the Student Council, as plans for a survey of students now taking the courses were disclosed yesterday by Roger S. Kuhn '46, Chairman of the Council's Committee on Curriculum and Tenure.

At the same time, he announced that a leaflet setting forth the aims, plans, and a review of the courses now being offered in General Education would be distributed in the dining halls early next week, probably Monday or Tuesday. the sheet, Kuhn said, would be designed to acquaint students with the issues and ideas involved in the program which got underway this fall.

Somewhat later, but before the Christmas vacation, a survey of students now taking General Education courses will be attempted. Kuhn said that the survey would ask students to write a short essay on their opinions of the course they are taking.

A mimeographed sheet, containing designed to point up and "crystallize" opinions will be given to the men concerned, Kuhn added.

The report, based on the findings of the survey, will form "a preliminary appraisal" of the program's worth, according to Kuhn, and will be submitted to the faculty Committee on General Education before the end of the term.

Another sub-committee of the same group is investigating, under Leslie Ritner '45, the "hiring, firing, and training" of section men, according to Kuhn. Their report, he said, would not be ready until some time in the spring term. The committee is presently talking to department heads, and section men, and is starting to prepare a poll of students, to be ready next term, on what qualities are most looked for in section men and their instructors.