Gummere States Criteria, Are Not Changed by A.B.

He Feels Responsibility Merely Is Shifted to High Schools and to Freshman Advisors

Commenting on the new single A.B. degree passed by the faculty of Arts and Sclonces this week, Richard M. Gummere, Chairman of the Committee on Admissions, said yesterday that he did not believe the dropping of the Classics requirement would involve any lowering of the University's standards.

He expressed a conviction that the burden of responsibility for a proper intellectual groundwork merely had been shifted to the secondary schools and Freshman advisors. An intelligent regard by them to the real needs of students would result in a background better suited to each zan's individual necessities.

The new ruling on a single degree abolishen the old requirement of three years of Latin or two of Greek, with only three years of preparatory school Math now needed as an alternate. A further background emphasizing a solid foundation in English, a foreign language, science and social studies will be demanded. In the case of an otherwise highly qualified student even some of these may be waived. Certain specialized courss in science and the arts will also be accepted as part of a candidate's school record.

Gummere pointed out the fact that these new rulings abolished only the inconsistency of the old degrees, and did not impair the flexibility in an undergraduates choice of courses. Many students majoring in the Humanities often have a real need for Latin and greek, and many more with a background in the Classics may wish to continue studying them. These men will have every opportunity to do so. However, anyone majoring in such scientific fields where they are unnecessary can disregard the subjects entirely.