200-Yd. Record Set by McLane of Andover in Unofficial Swim Meet

In an unscored practice meet at Andover on Saturday, the Freshman swimming team met an Andover squad sparked by the record breaking performance of Jimmy McLane.

McLane, 16 year old National Senior 440, 880, one mile, and long distance champion, set a new unofficial national scholastic record for 200 yards in the time of 2:01.5, less than three seconds above the world's record for the event. Because of the informal nature of the meet, the record was not valid.

Two fifty-yard freestyle sprints were run, one taken by the Crimson's Kaighn Smith, the other by Brace of Andover who beat Yardling Art Phinny by a touch. Carroll of Andover nosed out Al Weatherhead in the 100-yard freestyle.

The 100-yard backstroke was won by Tom Woods in good time, and both 150-yard medley relays were taken by the Yardlings. Mort Lomask, Dave Ayres, Shep Brown, Tom Woods, Gray Johnston, and Larry Ward made up the relay teams. In his first competitive performance, Winslow Briggs, won the diving event.

Diving will be rearranged this year to increase interest in the event. Previously, each diver made four required dives and four voluntary dives; henceforth one of the four required dives will be pulled from a hat. This plus four voluntary dives will constitute the event.