HOW TO SOLVE HARVARD'S BAFFLING LAYOUT

Can't Tell Wadsworth from Widener without Program

Harvard, like Boston, was founded on towpaths and since the average Harvard-man's mentality has little in common with a cow, he may have some difficulty in finding his bearings. But map in hand, and with a few pointers in his head, the newcomer will, in the space of a couple of months, have memorized the ins and guts of his surroundings fairly well.

Like Gaul?

Like Gaul, Harvard is divided three ways into the graduate schools and laboratories the Yard (not campus, please), and the Houses. The Yard, birthplace of the College, lies between Cambridge Street and Massachusetts Avenue and contains what are called Freshman Halls, the bulk of the classrooms, and administration buildings. To the north is the graduate's empire, to the south are the hairs of the upperclassmen, and across the river the Business School, Stadium, and athletic fields.

Special Interest

Of special interest to incoming students these three areas are the following:

In the center of the Yard is University Hall, administrative headquarters of the University. Some offices, however, including President Conant's, are in Massachusetts Hall, while the veterans' headquarters and several other units are in Weld.

Dominating the southern end of the quadrangle is the massive Widener Library, largest university library in the United States. Facing it at the north end is the Memorial Church, built in remembrance of Harvard's dead in World War I. In the southwest stands Lehman Hall, headquarters of the Superintendent of caretakers and of University bill collectors.

Across Quincy Street

Across Quincy Street is the Union, which now houses the graduate dining hall, as well as the offices of the Harvard Athletic Association, where tickets for football games and other contests are obtained. English A students will have many occasions to visit Warren House to the rear of the Union. Northward on Quincy Street is the Fogg Art Museum.

On the way to the Union, beside Widener, stands Houghton Library, home of Harvard's rare books. Nearby is the President's House. Emerson, Sever, and Boylston Halls are used for classes, Robinson and Hunt Halls contain the School of Design. Other important buildings are Phillips Brooks House and Wadsworth House.

North of the Yard

To the north of the Yard are the towering Memorial Hall, where Harvardmen once ate, now register and take exams; and the New Lecture Hall, now no longer now.

Behind the Littauer School of Public Administration are the Law School buildings, and the new Hemenway Gymnasium. On Oxford Street, beyond New Lecture Hall are the Mallinckrodt Chemical Laboratories.

On Divinity Avenue is the University Museum, home of the famed glass flowers.

South of Massachusetts Avenue lies the realm of upperclassmen, land of Houses, clubs, and tailoring establishments. On Holyoke Street, south of the Hygiene Building, is the Indoor Athletic Building. At the foot of Boylston Street, near the Cambridge end of the Lars Anderson Bridge is the Weld Boat Club. On Massachusetts Avenue are Holyoke and Little Halls.

Across the Charles is the Business School. Here also, in the shadow of the Stadium, are the Dilion Field House, and the Carey and Briggs Cages. Nearby are tennis courts, soccer, football, baseball, and lacrosse filds, and the Newell Boat House.

Also Radcliffe

Of interest and shown on this map are the Cambridge Post Office on Brattle Square; also Radcliffe, Harvard's little sister, which lies off to the northeast, beyond the Law School.

On Mt. Auburn Street, about half a mile up the Charles River from Harvard square is Stillman Infirmary.