College to Permit Vets Near Degree To Omit Generals

All Excused to Be Ineligible For Honors in Departments

Veterans returning to the College after two years or more in the service may petition to have their general examination waived if they are within one or two terms of attaining a degree, Dean Hanford announced yesterday.

To take advantage of the new plan, a student must first obtain the approval of the department in which he is concentrating and may then apply to the Administrative Board. No man excused from the general examinations will be eligible for departmental honors.

Must Take Four Courses

Veterans requiring only one or two terms to complete the course requirements for a degree might be seriously handicapped in reviewing work done in their field of concentration before leaving for the service, Dean Hanford explained. He added that Seniors not preparing for the examinations must work at the four course rate and complete a total of sixteen courses for the degree.

Designed primarily for men within one term of completing their undergraduate studies, the program will in some instances be extended to those requiring an entire academic year, but in no cases will the Administrative Board approve petitions from students who need more than two terms.

Although virtually all men who are returning to college after long absences will face difficulties in reviewing past work, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences voted to exclude those who have more than a single year to complete at the College, deciding that such men would have sufficient time to prepare for the general examinations.