BENDER ASKS NEW VET BOOK SYSTEM

Plan to Include Refunds on Purchases Outside Square

Acting on the anxious demands of many undergraduate veterans, the Counsellor for Veterans Office petitioned Provost Buck last Friday regarding the University Hall policy on the book purchases of ex-soldiers. Currently on his desk, it awaits final action when he returns.

The appeal would allow veterans to buy textbooks anywhere in Boston, or even in their own home towns, if need be, and still receive a refund under the provisions of the GI Bill. At present official rulings limit the accepted book stores to those in Harvard Square.

Helen McCloskey, secretary in charge of book refunds to Wilbur J. Bender '27. The Counsellor for Veterans, stated last week that no unfairness was intended in the original regulations. "In fact," she said, "it was for the protection of the government and the men."

"Ordinarily," she added, "the local bookstores could supply the needs of all the returning students. However, a tremendous shortage of books has developed in the part month, and this office should now make it possible for the veteran to buy books anywhere."