Tutorial--

three classes--the "fundamental conditions which naturally tend to handicap a tutorial system," complications resulting from the effects of war, and individual departmental policy toward tutorial.

In consideration of the "fundamental" issues, the Committee urged that "some of the appointments which now go for research associate might go instead for tutors." It recommended that younger non-permanent instructor shoulder some of the tutorial burden.

"It is inevitable that tutorial, a most tiring and time consuming from of instruction, most suffer o some extent as way" the Committee reported, referring to the depleted staff, the three torn year, and the present "tremendous" influx of students. It was prided out, however, that extensive tutorial restriction in nine departments are "presumably not necessitated by the present emergency."

An analysis of individual departments policies toward the system revealed that almost all restrictions were made with "jack of funds" given as the reason. Stating that control of the University financial policy is entirely in the in the hands of University administrators, rather than of faculty members, the Committee concluded that the present administration has "not supported tutorial but has merely tolerated it for the past 14 years."