Robert Ashley Named Crimson Tennis Coach

New Mentor to Handle Netmen Until Barnaby Returns

Robert F. Ashley, former captain of the Bowdoin tennis team, has been appointed as coach of the Crimson not squad, it was announced last night by William J. Bingham, H.A.A. director. The new mentor succeeds Arthur Douropulos, and will handle the squad until the fall term, at which time Jack Barnaby, regular tennis and squash coach, is expected to return to the University.

A member of the tennis team for four years before he was graduated from Bowdoin in 1936, Ashley played in the number one spot during his final two years there. He is now a student in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

Veterans Strengthen Team

When the Crimson racqueteers assemble for an organizational meeting on Monday, Ashley should find three returning veterans and four heldovers from last year's squad as the nucleus for a strong outfit. Murray Levin, John Hulfey, Arthur Ecker, and Jim Ware were members of last year's team, while T' rn Kissel, a 1943 letterman, and Vincent Brandt and Dick Malone, both seeded in New England court circles, are expected to hold prominent places on the squad.

Three matches have already been arranged for the Varsity on the still uncompleted schedule, with four contests slated thus far for the Jayvees. Strongest local competition is expected from Yale, reputed to have one of the most powerful squads in its history.