Amid Boston Overdose Crisis, a Pair of Harvard Students Are Bringing Narcan to the Red Line
At First Cambridge City Council Election Forum, Candidates Clash Over Building Emissions
Harvard’s Updated Sustainability Plan Garners Optimistic Responses from Student Climate Activists
‘Sunroof’ Singer Nicky Youre Lights Up Harvard Yard at Crimson Jam
‘The Architect of the Whole Plan’: Harvard Law Graduate Ken Chesebro’s Path to Jan. 6
In response to "the greatest pressure ever put on American colleges," Dean Buck yesterday estimated that the College enrollment would reach 3000 for the coming summer term, and hit a peak of possibly 5800 in the fall, 2300 above what he termed the "desirable" level.
"The fall and spring terms next year will be a crisis," Dean Buck said, indicating that the largest enrollment in the University's history would be met with the scheduling of more afternoon classes, and an increase in the size of classes together with doubling up in the rooms of the Houses.
The fall term estimate of 5800 was broken down as follows: 4500 upperclassmen, including Harvard veterans back from leave of absence, plus 1300 Freshmen, including men previously accepted by the College who now hold "tickets of admission," new non-Harvard veteran Freshmen, and regular non-veteran Freshmen entering from secondary schools. Richard M. Gummere, Chairman of the Committee on Admission, estimated that this last category would probably number somewhat over half of the beginning class next fall.
No Summer Joint Education
To case pressure on already taxed facilities here this summer, Radcliffe students, with almost no exception, will be officially discouraged from planning to attend the 12-week summer term, Dean Buck said, and no admissions would be granted summer-schooling teachers. Applications for temporary one-term transfer from other colleges will likewise be rejected.
Men now in their last year of secondary schools who have been accepted by the College will be advised to wait until the fall before entering, on the theory that it is better for a class to enter as a unit. The fate of this ruling now lies, according to Dean Buck and Gummere, largely in the lap of Congress, and depends on the action they take on the draft. If by May 15 Selective Service Boards are continuing to draft 18 year olds, then the admission policy may be changed to allow high school seniors to get one or two terms in the College before they are called. "We can't close the doors to Freshmen," the Provost said.
In the event that Selective Service is abandoned, new Freshmen may still start College in the summer term if they can show good cause, Dean Buck said, but even if the draft is still in effect 16 and 17 year old men from high school, not immediately affected by the draft may be told to wait until the fall.
Men Here Now Not Limited
There will, however, be no limitation on students now in College who wish to attend the summer term, nor will any applications from men now on leave of absence, or holders of tickets of admission to the College be turned down. The Provost emphasized that the latter two classes of men may enter at the beginning of any term, regardless of the size of the College.
Dean Buck emphasized that the University was considering a full year when it laid plans for the coming summer term. The number of courses offered is necessarily modified by the fact that every course cannot be given every term. Certain of the large survey courses would be materially hurt by having them start in June and end in February, he averred.
Another consideration that entered into the setting up of the coming term's courses, according to Dean Buck, was that every effort was being made to have a complete catalogue available for the record breaking influx expected next fall.
Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.