Track Team Has Meet in Stadium today; Quonset Topples Stahlmen in Ninth, 3-2

Nine Will Face Jumbos today At Soldiers Field; Phelan Named as Starting Pitcher

After tying up the game with two runs in the first half of the ninth inning, the Varsity baseball team gave up a run in the last half of the ninth on an error and two singles and lost to a flashy Quenset. Navy nine 3 to 2 last Wednesday at Quonset.

This afternoon at 3 o'clock the team will meet the Tufts University nine, which has yet to win a game, at Soldiers Field. The Jumbos have lost of Northeastern, Bowdoin, Boston University, and Brown. Don Swegan, first string shortstop and the team's leading batter, was spiked in the first inning of the Quonset game but will start today's game. Joe Phelan, a former Marine who pitched for the Crimson in 1941 and 1942, is scheduled to do the hurling for the Stahlmen.

For the first eight innings at Quonset Joe Byrnes, pitching for the victors, held the Crimson to two hits, both singles, and allowed only two men to get as far as third base. In the ninth with two out he hit Bill Ayres with a pitched ball, and Saul Mariaschin promptly singled to left, putting Crimson runners on first and second. A wild pitch and a passed ball scored two runs.

In the last half of the ninth bob Fraser relieved Johnny Knowles who, in giving up six hits, turned in a neat job during the first eight innings on the mound for the Crimson. Fraser got the first man on a pop-up to the second baseman, but the second man up reached first on an error by John Coppinger at third.