"Building Year" Seen For Lacrosse Squad; Track Undermanned

Injuries, Probation Also Hurt Hard-Working Track Squad; Maddux Seeks Improvement

Both the track and lacrosse squads are still suffering from the widespread war-time malady--shortage of experienced competitors. Jaukko Mikkela's cindermen are harrassed, moreover, by the ravages of injury and probation, while Bob Maddux views this spring primarily as a "building year" for his lacrossemen.

With few men who have had any appreciable amount of experience behind them, the lacrosse team is trying to strengthen itself, working out from the goal. In a serimmage with the Boston Lacrosse Club they found their greatest difficulty in this department, being unable to stop the veteran players once they worked in close to the goal.

The team got an early start in Briggs Cage on February 8 and took to the out-side two weeks before spring vacation. By the end of the season Maddux expects to have a much stronger squad as it gains in much needed experience.

Maddux, who organized the lacrosse coaches' clinic held here Saturday by 12 prep schools and six colleges of the New England Intercollegiate Lacrosse League, anticipates working with the same team next year, since the organization of a Freshman team at that time will make most new material inaccessible.

Doug Pirnie, Pete Harwood, Bill Fisher, and John Holbrook are suffering from various injuries and illnesses, Frank Coolidge is on probation, Jack Fisher and Bill Jackson are busy with spring football practice, and cold weather has interfered with their training, but Mikkola looks forward to good results this spring, basing his optimism on the fact that he "hasn't often seen a Harvard team that would practice as hard as this year's."