American Universities Must Take More Foreign Students, Says Waite

Just back from Chicago where he attended a recent conference on international education, Richard A. Waite, Jr., assistant dean of the College and advisor to foreign students, asserted yesterday that American Universities will have to do everything possible to take more foreign students in spite of the added pressure being placed on American education by the veteran.

"The United States is the only country in the world with the exception of Canada," he added, "whose educational system is still free from the effects of war and government control. The result is that all over the world there is increasing demand for information about American education and a desire on the part of students to come here."

The Chicago conference which Waite attended was an assembly of college administrative officers and foreign students' advisors called by the Institute of International Education at the request of the State Department to discuss the foreign student situation in general and its relation to American universities.

Chances of studying in Russia in the near future are correspondingly dim. Commenting on a scholarship which offered to send students interested in various phases of Russian culture to the Soviet Union, Wassily W. Leontief, associate professor of Economics, said that the bars were down and no American students were getting into Russia.

"Whether they will or not in the next year or so depends largely on the future course of Russo-American relations."