Americans Hoping to Study in Europe Face Up to a Year's Delay

"This year is not a good time for Americans to study abroad for a good many reasons, with food as the strongest detriment." This was the answer of the Institute of International Education, the main channel of information about foreign education systems, to a request by the CRIMSON for information about the chances of Americans going to continental Europe to study during the next six months.

Destruction of buildings, depletion of faculties (especially in the occupied countries), and overcrowding of the available facilities by European students are a few of the other reasons why it is wise for Americans to plan to stay at home to get their college educations. From all appearances conditions will remain bad at leas until the academic year 1947-48.

There are, of course, a few exceptions to the general picture. Starting this summer, Switzerland is welcoming a considerable number of American students, and a small number are going to the Scandinavian countries: likewise, it is possible that the French universities will recover more quickly than expected and be able to take some Americans by next fall.

In comparison to the years before the war very few Americans are studying in European colleges now.