Mulcahy Wins in New England Golf Contest With 163 at Wachusett

Wet was the word for Wachusett Country Club on Saturday, and consequently, Charlie Mulcahy couldn't set it on fire although he did win the New England intercollegiate individual title with a card of 163 for 36 holes. This victory came on the heels of the Crimson's team victory on Friday, a victory in which Mulcahy, as medalist, played a decisive role.

Paul Coste, who also figured in Friday's triumph, landed in a triple tie for fifth place by shooting a score of 171. Mulcahy's 82-81, which nosed out Jack Harvey, of Boston College, by two strokes, was the highest score ever to win the event and made him the fourth Harvardian to wear the crown.

Weather No Help

Two factors combined to add several strokes to the scores. One was the weather, which turned the fairways into begs, the other was the fact that Wachusett is 500 yards longer than Oakley, where the eight previous contests were held. For this second reason, it is unfair to compare Mulcahy's score to the previous winning scores.

Tied for ninth place was the Crimson's Bill Rickenbacker who scored a 90-84-174. At the end of eighteen holes, Mulcahy was two strokes down to Jack De Garmo of Connecticut. Picking up four strokes on the outgoing afternoon nine, he salted the tourney away with a 4-4-3 on the final holes.