Deacons Lead in Intramural Loop With 572 Points

Samborski Schedules Softball, Hardball, Tennis, Football, Volley Ball in Summer Term

Kirkland House carried the spring sports division of the intramural league by 90 points and on the basis of this lead won term honors in inter-house athletics with a total score of 572 points, 112 points higher than Dunster House, in the runner-up position. In third place in the term standings was Winthrop House with 425 points, a scant 5 points more than Leverett in fourth place. Lowell was next with 327 points while Adams and Dudley brought up the rear with 305 and 165.

The Bunnies who were first in the winter sports division of the intramural league slumped badly and came out next to last in the spring sports with 130. The other scores for the spring division were Kirkland 312, Winthrop 2221/2, Dunster 200, Lowell 137, Adams 135, and Dudley 55.

To gain the championship the Deacons took the hardball and crew titles and tied for first in tennis with Winthrop. Dunster garnered the basketball, swimming, and softball titles while Leverett won the squash and volley ball.

Ordinarily this win would entitle Kirkland House to possession of the Percy E. Straus Trophy, but this year intramalmural athletics have been on an informal basis. Starting next fall the full pre-war system will go into action including competition for the cups in various sports as well as the Straus Trophy.

Adolph W. Samborski '26, Director of intramural athletics, announced plans yesterday for the inter-House contests during the summer. Competitions will be scheduled in hardball, softball, and tennis in the beginning of the term while later on in the summer volley ball and touch football contests will get under way.

No inter-house crew races are being scheduled for the summer, but House residents will be encouraged to report to Weld Boathouse frequently to get in shape for the full scale intramural regatta which will be held in the spring. Under the direction of Bert Haines a year-round training policy similar to that used in the years before the war will be set up to develop efficiency in the house crews.

The organization employed during the last two terms with the House athletic secretaries meeting with Samborski once a week will be continued this summer, but the program as a whole will still be on an informal basis in preparation for the fall term resumption of activities.