Nine Batters Bruins With 19 Hits, Has Two Big Innings in 15-9 Win

Any claims that the Crimson baseball team lacks power at the plate were smashed in a big way last Saturday at Soldiers Field when the Stahlmen slammed out a total of 19 hits, had two explosive five run innings and completely crushed a baseball team from Brown by the score of 15 to 9.

Besides their awesome exhibition at the bat, they played errorless ball; only the pitching, ordinarily the strong point of the team, was on the weak side. Joe Phelan who started the game did not have his stuff and in the third inning was removed in favor of Johnny Knowles, who, in spite of the tremendous lead, also had his troubles.

The Crimson jumped off to a quick three-run lead in the first inning on a single, a walk, an out, an error, and two more singles, but the last half of the fifth found them on the short end of a 5 to 3 count. At this point they exploded their first five run effort in which four singles, a walk, and two errors were combined with Bill Barron's booming triple to right center field to blow the game wide open.

Two more runs came across in the home half of the sixth while the seventh inning was a repeat performance of the fifth with a few minor changes to add variety. This time three walks, three hits, and two errors did the damage.

Captain Don Swegan slammed out four singles, pilfered three bases, scored two runs, drove in one, and handled five chances in the field flawlessly to lead his team to their second victory of the current campaign over the Bruins.

Crusader Game Saturday

Two more games are still on this term's agenda, and wins in both of them would make up for any shortcomings in the Stahlmen's records this season. Holy Cross will be the opponent on Saturday while the big Yale game is scheduled for the day before Commencement. Joe Phelan is the probable starting pitcher against the Crusaders.