Polio Fund Allots $204,000 Gift to Med School Labs

Grant to Aid Paralysis Fight And Increase Knowledge on Nature of Filterable Virus

The National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis announced Tuesday that it has granted $204,000 to the Medical School to carry out a five-year research program in the field of filterable viruses. To be directed by Dr. J. Howard Mueller, professor of Bacteriology and Immunology, the project is part of a $1,235,700 plan recently approved by the foundation to stimulate research and education about poliomyelitis.

Mueller said yesterday that specific plans for the research are still being formulated, but that work will begin as soon as administrative details can be adjusted. Although the long term purpose of the experiments will be to learn more about all filterable viruses, the poliomyelitis virus will receive particular attention at some point in the investigation.

The main part of the work will be carried on in the department of Bacteriology and Immunology of the Medical School, but also cooperating in the project will be the department of Physical Chemistry, and the Pediatrics Department of the Children's Hospital in Boston.

Organized by the late President Franklin D. Roosevelt '04 in 1938, the foundation granted $6,000 to the Medical School earlier this year for research in the field of physical therapy treatment for emergency use in infantile paralysis out-breaks. Since 1941 the Medical School has received gifts from the foundation totaling $36,000 for infantile paralysis research.