Crimson Third in N.E. Track Meet

Harwood, Jackson Take Firsts In-Pole Vault, Shot Put

A handful of men from Jaakko Mikkola's Crimson track team dominated the field events at the New England A.A.A.U annual outdoor senior championships at Lynn's Manning Bowl last Thursday night, but an absence of Harvard performers in the track events on the card relegated the Mikkolamen to a third place role in the meet.

Dartmouth amassed nineteen points to win the championship, while the Boston A.A., which totaled sixteen, nosed out the Crimson squad by a single point in the struggle for second place.

Harwood, Jackson Win

Pacing the Mikkola forces were two first place winners; Pete Harwood, outstanding New England pole vaulter, who successfully defended the crown he won last year with a vault of 12 feet, 6 inches, and Bill Jackson, whose 47 feet, 5 5/3 inch shot put garnered that event. Jackson also took third place in the discus throw, won by Dartmouth's Sam Felton.

In the hammer throw, where the Fisher brothers, Willo and Jack, were expected to place one-two, Bob Bennett of Maine was the winner, with Willo in second place and Jack, competing under the aegis of the Weld Boat Club, in third.

The only other Crimson representative to place was Dave Murray, who was second in the javelin throw, an event in which the winner, GI Milt Kodash, set a new meet record with a heave of 193 feet, 9 inches.