Summer Baseball Practice Begins Today; New Men Sought to Fill Starting Lineup

Samborski Replaces Stahl as Varsity Coach; H.A.A. Lists Five Games in July, August

College sport-addicts will get their first opportunity to see what Harvard's 800-odd newcomers have to offer in the way of athletic talent this afternoon, when Adolf Samborski, taking over the Crimson baseball worries from the vacation departed Floyd Stahl, assembles his summer squad at 2:30 o'clock at Soldier's Field.

"All veterans-new and old-are eligible for the two remaining games on the spring schedule, BU and Yale," Samborski declared last night, "and all students-veterans and civilians-will be able to play in the games arranged for the summer term." However, any veteran who attended another college as a civilian will not be able to perform against Boston University and Yale.

Needs New Outfield

Since the entire outfield of the Varsity's spring team, plus three members of the starting infield, are not going to be enrolled this summer, Samborski is hoping for a large turnout of men new to the College to fill the gaps.

Catchers Bill Barron and Armen Essayen will be available for the two remaining "spring" contests as well as the summer schedule, as will pitchers Norm Wholley and John Knowles, and first sacker Bill Fitz. But the rest of the squad, second baseman Saul Mariaschin, shortstop Don Forte, third-baseman Don Coppinger, and outfielders Nick Rodis and Mal Allen will leave the Crimson squad after the Eli contest, and their positions remain a matter of doubt until Samborski sizes up his new prospects.

Samborski, who is also athletic director of intramural sports, has coached Freshmen baseball teams in the past, and is acting as coach of the Varsity nine in the absence of Floyd Stahl, who left Cambridge on Saturday morning for a vacation on the West Coast.

The HAA has already line up five games for the Varsity's summer program, and it is hoped that several more contests will be arranged to provide two games every week with local college and service squads. After opposing B.U. at Riverside on June 22 and the Yale contest at New Haven on June 24, the following games are listed for the summer:

July 8, Squantum Naval Air Station, at Squantum; July 13, Bowdoin; July 20, Boston University, at Riverside; July 24, Squantum, and August 3, Boston University.