Food Saving Nets Council $2400 in First Four Weeks

After conference with Edward Reynolds '25, administrative vice president, the Student Council has announced that $2400 will be turned over by the University to the Council Food Relief Fund. This figure represents a total voluntary saving by students in the College dining halls of $600 per week for four weeks. The $2400 will be distributed to American relief organizations by the Food Committee of the Council, which administers the fund.

At the same time, co-chairman of the food committee, Douglass Cater '46, announced that further conferences with Reynolds would be held shortly after the beginning of the next term. These discussions will center around the possibility of further savings in food, Cater said.

Methods of increasing the total savings of food will be investigated, and those economics now being practiced as a result of the ballot of a month ago which do not effectually aid in the saving of food for Europe will be discarded, he added.

A second ballot, to determine the sentiments of the summer term students on the program, will be held shortly after the beginning of the term; Cater announced.

At present the College food saving program consists of eliminating desserts at the noon meal, breads at night, cookies and cake with ice cream, and the cutting out of all wheat cereals. These measures were approved by more than two-thirds of the College students in a poll held May 3.

Under the general direction of Edric A. Weld, Jr. '46, Chairman of the Student Council Committee on the College for the summer term, the Council Committee on Food Relief will be headed by Richard D. Campbell '48 during the next twelve weeks.

Monetary contributions received by the Council after a two weeks drive in the House dining halls totaled approximately $110, with the largest single donation being $25. This money will also be turned over to the Food Relief Fund by the Council Committee.

As a result of a preliminary investigation by the Unitarian Service Committee it has been decided not to send food to the University at Grenoble, France. Instead, the Council will concentrate for the moment on the University of Vienna, where, according to the Unitarians' report, the need for aid is most pressing.