Janitor Of Claverly House Retires After Fifty-Three Years Of Service

Two Time Holder of Amateur Boxing Championship Still Rows Scull Daily on River

Having served as janitor of Claverly House for 53 years, James J. O'Brien was replaced last week under the University retirement plan. The 75 year old gentleman, familiar to three generations of College students as "Jimmy Claverly," is taking a short rest.

O'Brien's former flat on the ground floor of Claverly House has held numerous trophies of his athletic accomplishments. At 105 pounds, he won the New England Amateur Boxing Championship in 1891 and 1892. In 1901 he added to his laurels three first place cups in single scull races. Two years ago, he placed second in a veteran's single scull race on the Schuylkill at Philadelphia. Had he been able to take his own specially constructed light boat, and had the winner been over 40, O'Brien feels sure he would have won.

Still Active

"I've been a member of the Riverside Boat Club for 55 years. It seems I am now too old to be janitor at Claverly, but I still manage to work out on the Charles almost every day," he said in an interview yesterday.

O'Brien plans to work as an elevator operator at the First National Bank after his vacation. "It's not much," he said, "but it will give me something to do. Besides, a $40 per month pension isn't much."

Claverly House was bought by the University in 1920. It was built by Charles D. Wetmore '91, then a student in the Graduate School of Architecture; and O'Brien moved in as assistant janitor. In 1902 he was made head janitor of the dormitory.