Radcliffe Secretarial School Holds Six-Week Session with 80 Enrolled

Harvard men who found the pickings at Radcliffe pretty slim last month can take heart and try again. The first postwar session of the Radcliffe Secretarial School, a function of the Radcliffe Appointment Bureau, has brought 80 female faces to the Cambridge scene. With courses in shorthand and typing, the school runs for six weeks through July and August. Classes meet in Longfellow Hall five days a week from 9 to 12 and 1 to 3 o'clock.

Not Limited to Radcliffe Students

Organized in 1932 by Miss Edith Stedman, Radcliffe '10, Director of the Appointment Bureau, who felt shorthand and typing were essential to the modern girl in quest of a job, the school ran every summer until 1942 when activities were suspended because of the war. This year Miss Stedman again heads the school, with classes under the direction of Mrs. Harold Quinlan, Wellesley '24, who has done graduate work and teaching at Simmons College and is now teaching at the Katherine Gibbs School.

A breakdown of the enrollment reveals wives of Harvard students, representatives from other colleges, and 'Cliffe alumnae and undergraduates. Twenty seven of this number are quartered in Whitman Hall and Henry House.

Studying Under Gi Bill

Unique among the secretarial students is Miss Barbara Corrigan of Belmont, an ex-Wave who is studying under the GI Bill of Rights. A graduate of Westbrook Junior College, Portland, Me., Miss Corrigan spent 18 months in the Navy. She is already acquainted with the mysteries of shorthand and typing, but finds her pre-war touch dulled by life in the service and a brief review necessary.