Swimming Tops List Of All Summer Sports

Leading the field with a turnout of 200 men, swimming is the most popular sport in the University this summer.

Under the direction of Frank Vaughan, instructor and assistant swimming coach, 30 classes a week keep the pools in the Indoor Athletic Building in constant use every weekday afternoon. Sixty men in the group started the term as complete newcomers to the sport, and at present one third of them have passed the fifty yard swimming test.

The remainder of the men are in advanced classes and have been working regularly on freestyle and crawl strokes. This week the advanced group is taking time out from regular training and is keeping the small pool lively with water polo contests.

Included in the group are eight men from last year's Varsity, and Coach Vaughan says that several of the newcomers are definitely Varsity material. Vaughan does not think that the men are just out for swimming to keep cool. He says, "They really want to swim and learn to better their stroke."

Harold S. Ulen, the Varsity swimming coach, is away for the summer, but is expected back in the fall, when he will start forming a team for next winter's competition.