University Single Sculling Regatta Slated for Third Week in August

Revival of Race Features Six Classes of Competition With Prizes for Winning Oarsmen

Renewing another of the pre-war athletic traditions, Coach Blake Dennison announced yesterday that a University-wide sculling regatta will be held during the week of August 19 to 23.

Officials in the sculling regatta are Edward A. Callanan '41 of Winthrop House, clerk of the course, and Bruce Purnie '41, referee.

Winners Will Receive Medals

Men who place first or second in the first four classes of competition will receive silver or bronze medals. Winners in the fifth and sixth classes will get oak plaques.

Trials for the regatta will be held from August 19 to 22, at the Weld Boat Club. All races will be one-half mile long. Applications for entries will not be accepted after 6 o'clock on August 14.

First Class is "Thirty Minute Club"

The first class in the competition, called Senior Singles, is mae up of men who are qualified for the Thirty-Minute Club. To qualify for the club the oarsmen must row from the Anderson Bridge to the Arsenal Bridge and return in 30 minutes. This course is about four miles.

Class two, Junior Singles, is for men who have rowed for two seasons but who have not qualified for the Thirty Minute Club.

Men who have rowed less than two seasons in the single sculls are in the Novice Singles or class three. Class four is for men under 155 pounds who row singles.

Class five is made up of men who are qualified to row compromise sculls, but not in singles. Beginners in the art of sculling will race in class six using wherries.

To the non-rower the terms "single," "compromise," and "wherry" have little meaning. Coach Dennison explains that the difference is in the construction of the boat. The beginning boat is the wherry. This craft is often called a "klinker" or a "lap-streak."

The wherry is 19 feet long an 24 inches wide, having the oarsman's seat low in the hull. The compromise, called "comp" by those in the know, is longer, 25 feet, and narrower, 16 inches for greater speed.

Singles Are 26 Feet Long

The most advanced and fastest boats are called singles. These are usually 26 feet long and a bare 11 inches, wide. In both the comp and the singles the oarsman's seat is built out from the hull of the craft.

Sculling, one of the popular summer sports, attracts over 200 men for credit. Coach Dennison said that this past week has been the busiest this season, with between three and four hundred men going out every day.