Deep South Finds Voice in Yankee Domain as 'Cliffegirl Backs Bilbo

Republicans Reel as Daughter Of Southern Senator Places Claghorn Above Carmichael

"I've met Mr. Bilbo several times, and he's really a pleasant looking little man, in spite of everything you hear." So spoke Miss Roberta Maybank, Radcliffe '47, daughter of the distinguished Senator Burnet R. Maybank of South Carolina, in a statement to the press yesterday afternoon on the front steps of Whitman Hall.

As scribes fired questions and photo bulbs flashed, Miss Maybank agreed to comment on "anything but the atomic bomb." Pursuing Senator Bilbo further, she said in her sweet southern drawl, "He always wears a flower in his buttonhole," but qualified her remarks somewhat by adding, "Of course, I've only seen him when he was about to sit down to a steak dinner."

Admires Talmadge

When someone mentioned the problem of refugees streaming across the Georgia border into South Carolina as a result of the recent election of "Modest Gene" Talmadge, Miss Maybank opined that "anyone who can get elected with all that opposition must have something!"

On the subject of Taimadge's wavyhaired opponent, candidate Carmichael, she said simply, "Bow ties aren't generally worn in the South."

With the words, "I refuse to comment further on politics because I don't want to get my father defeated in the next election," Miss Maybank brought the interview closer to Harvard Square. A Government major, she is faced with the dismal prospect of having slept through the Gov 9 exam, but thinks "the instructor is very cute." As for Gov I, she allowed. "I just love Professor Elliott,--Yandell, that is. I think he's wonderful."