Radcliffe Begins Longfellow Hall Business Course

More Than Half of Enrollees Study Management Training Under Auspices of GI Bill

Radcliffe's version of the Business School, the Management Training Program of the Radcliffe Graduate School, began its ten-month course of instruction yesterday in Longfellow Hall, under the direction of T. North Whitehead, Associate Professor of Business.

More than half of the 48 students enrolled, the largest number in the ten-year history of the program, are veterans studying under the GI Bill of Rights. Whitehead notes that whereas ordinary classes of past years were evenly divided between college students and working girls, eighty per cent of the present group "have had a wide view of life."

Students From Varied Backgrounds

Formed to give "basic training in business and industry, government offices, social service institutions, and educational establishments," the school has representatives from 29 colleges and universities, as well as students from Canada and China.

Most interesting story behind the enrollment figures concerns Mrs. Bessie Y. C. Aye, of Kunming, China, who has been granted special permission by the State Department to fly to this country for the Radcliffe program. Mrs. Aye, a teacher and editor, has been serving with the Netherlands Consulate in Kunming.

Whitehead Served in London

Professor Whitehead graduated from Trinity College, Cambridge, England, in 1914, and was commissioned an officer in that year in the British Army, in which he saw service in France and East Africa, During the second World War, he left his position at the Business School to return to London as an advisor to the Foreign Office on American affairs.

He is most interested in the field work periods of the program, which send the students to various firms and businesses for practical training. After a four week session, the girls will get "humble positions" in nearby firms "as a sort of shakedown cruise." Twelve weeks later, following further studies, they will have more responsible adminstrative duties in firms sometimes as distant as Cleveland or Atlanta, Ga.

A number of guest speakers, usually executives of large firms, will highlight this year's program. Asked how interesting the girls found these lectures, Whitehead said that even a big business man becomes fascinating "if we make him be specific and keep from generalizing too much."