Plans Revealed For Art Contest, Exhibits in Fall

Painting, Drawing, Sculpture, Photographs Acceptable

Interest in the Winthrop House exhibition of paintings, drawings, and photographs, submitted by House members, has been keen enough to warrant a larger-scale competition, a Winthrop resident believes, and under his direction, plans are being made for a University-wide art exhibition and competition to begin in the middle of next term.

Tentative plans call for individual House exhibitions and selection of the best entries from these exhibitions for display in Fogg Museum and for final competition in early spring. A roving band of judges will pick the winners in House exhibitions, and cash prizes will be awarded to final winners.

The spokesman for the competition, which will be similar to those held here regularly during the pre-war years, said that entries need not be "professional, in the severe sense," and that there will be plenty of room for the work of interested amateurs. He urged that all students who are interested in submitting items write to him at Winthrop D-24.

Committees will be appointed in each House to handle the preliminary competitions, which will be staggered so that only one will be held at a time.

The Winthrop display, featured in the House's Junior Common room, contains some 30 items submitted by the summer population of the House. In addition to paintings, drawings, and photographs, sculpture will be accepted for the fall competition.