Veterans Decry Rent, Tuition Rises at M.I.T.

Decrying a $15 increase in the rental price of dormitory rooms and a $100 boost in tuition, Massachusetts Institute of Technology student veterans declared, in a special edition of their paper, "Veterans View," that "All of these increases place the student, veteran and non-veteran alike, in a terrible squeeze."

In reply to a dormitory investigation committee report that room rental fees have contributed a profit of $40,000 yearly to the Institute's income since 1937, D. L. Rhind, bursar at M.I.T., said that this money was used to help pay salaries and other operating expenses.

Rhind also said that the board of trustees had established, years ago, a policy of realizing two percent of the dormitories' value yearly, and added that, since the institute had spent $72,000 for renovations since the end of the war, the increased prices will result in only half the normal net income.

The veterans claimed that the increase in income due to enlargement of the student body by 1500 would more than reimburse the institute for its loss effected by rising prices.