Council Receives Thanks for Food Shipped to Paris

Twelve Students Write Notes Of Gratitude for Parcels; Campaign for Funds Slated

Letters have been received by the Student Council Food Relief Committee from 12 University of Paris students acknowledging the receipt of the first food shipment to arrive abroad as a result of the College food conservation program.

All of the $3,400 collected has been spent on food which is now on its way overseas, the supplies already received in Paris having been sent as a small token shipment ahead of the others, the Committee revealed.

This shipment was packed in a trunk and taken personally to its destination by Dr. H. Simonnet, of the University of Paris, aboard the He de France on its first post-war crossing to Europe. The cost of the food was about sixty dollars, only one seventieth of the total sum spent on supplies now in transit.

Letters Express Gratitude

Twelve needy students, six boys and six girls, were selected to receive the initial gift, and have addressed their lettersters of thanks to Richard D. Campbell, Jr. '46, Chairman of the Student Council Committee, who has had them translated into English.

The general tone of the letters can be gathered from the following quotes:

"I was greatly touched by such kindness coming from our American friends, and in thanking you today, I should like to express my deepest gratitude to you and to the students who sacrificed a part of their food ration for our benefit."

"I am a student in philosophy, Having been deported by the Germans to the concentration-camp of Auschwitz (Upper Silesia), known for its atrocities, after having suffered endless ill-treatment, I returned to my country in a state of malnutrition that you may well imagine."

Further plans for money collections in August will be announced shortly by the newly formed fund-raising committee.