Students Will Present Reading of "Hamlet"

Out of Thursday afternoon oral readings of Shakespeare in English 24a, William A. West '49, a member of the class and of the Harvard Dramatic Club, has evolved the idea of staging a radio-type reading of "Hamlet" in Sanders Theater.

Assisting in the production, to be staged at 1:30 o'clock on August 23 without scenery or costumes, will be some members of the English 24a (Shakespearean Tragedy) class and other University students who will read "Hamlet" in radio studio style.

West Plays Title Role

West, who staged last spring's HDC production of "Winterset" and has appeared at the Pasadena Playhouse as Horatio in "Hamlet" will play the title role in the Sanders Theater production. He has chosen all the other members of his cast except Claudius and The Ghost.

They are:

John Simon '46, Polonius; Edward Franklin '47, Laertes; Miss June Philbin, Radcliffe '46, Ophelia; Miss Anna Prince, Radcliffe '47, Gertrude; Charles Van Doren '46, Rosencrantz; Alexander Stewart '46 Gildenstern; Edward Benedict '46, Horatio; Michael Kahn '46, Osrich, and William Murray '47, Voltimand. The cast will double-up on minor roles. The performance will be open to the public, and is expected to run almost three hours.