Food Drive Lacks $1,275 of Goal As Campbell Urges More Donations

Widener Desk to Remain Open All Week; Winthrop Gives $4.43 per Man, Tops College

"We are $1,275 short of our goal," said Richard D. Campbell, Jr. '48, chairman of the Food Relief Committee yesterday, in commenting on the fund-raising drive last week.

"The average of those who gave was unexpectedly high," he continued, "but our solicitors were not able to contact every man, and for those who still wish to contribute, the desk in Widener Library will be open from 9 to 4 o'clock for the rest of this week. I hope that we may reach our goal by Friday."

Contribution Figures Listed

Campbell released the following figures on sums collected in different branches of the University: 521 undergraduates living in the College Houses gave $2470,00; 250 Law students pledged $1,291,00; Business School students gave $1,200,00; $1,510 was received by mail; Radcliffe gave $50.00; and the Widener Desk gave $403.70, these sums, plus $1,800 from the dining halls saving program, total $8,725.00.

The small percentage of Law School students who contributed was attributed in part to the faulty collection of pledge cards, which were presented to the men in their classrooms last Thursday. In some cases, nobody was on hand after class to collect these cards, and Campbell announced that any Law students who wished to turn in pledges, but were unable to do so Thursday, should take or mail their cards to Phillips Brooks House.

Comparative returns from the College Houses were released by William Sharpe, Jr. '43, undergraduate representative for the Committee. The following figures are correct as of last night, when the inter-House drive was largely completed, and represent the average contributions per man; in Winthrop, 92 men averaged $4.43 apiece; in Leverett, 109 men, $4.31; in Kirkland, 69 men, $4.25; in Lowell, 88 men, $4.15; in Adams, 76 men, $3.91; and in Dunster, 87 men, $3.65.

Checks Range From $5 to $25

Individual contributions have run from $1.00 upto $60.00. The representative at the desk in Widener was approached Friday by an undergraduate who had served during the war in France, and who was especially anxious to aid that country. After writing out a check for $50.00, he looked in his wallet and contributed another $10.00, which was all the money he had with him.

Checks received by mail from non-resident students and faculty members ranged generally from $5.00 to $25.00, with the average at about $10.00. Most checks were accompanied by letters to the Committee, including the following note from one of the faculty.

"Thank you so very much for the good work you are doing. It is a sad commentary on all of us, myself included, that we wait to do such a thing until people like you make it so easy. I wish my contribution might be more proportionate to the need-but a teaching-fellowship balanced against a family of four leaves little over."

Campbell anticipates further contributions by mail, since only 150 on the faculty and non-resident students have replied to the committee's letters so far.