Brunswick Units Open Wednesday, Devens October 15, Reynolds Says

Progress on all of the University's emergency housing projects from the Brunswick to Fort Devens has been brought up to date for the information of all students by Edward Reynolds '15, administrative vice president of the University, in a letter to the CRIMSON received over the weekend.

Reconstruction of the Lovell Hospital buildings at Devens into 400 family units, the plan which largely broke the back of the Administration's difficulties, has been summaried thus:

"Out of our applications to the Federal Public Housing Authority, we were granted 400 housekeeping apartments at Lovell General Hospital North. Construction began in July, remodeling the ward buildings into apartments of living, kitchen, bathroom, and one, two, or three bedrooms.

Some Ready Now

"Some have been completed and are practically ready for occupancy now. The contractor's present estimate of completion of all 400 is October 15. Assignment of tenants will begin immediately.

"The Boston and Maine Railroad is arranging that some of its best commuting trains will stop at the town of Shirley, which is the railroad station nearest this community, and also at Porter Square in North Cambridge.

Chief of the other non-Cambridge accommodations, Boston's Hotel Brunswick, has been rapidly renovated and rearranged, according to Reynolds, and will be ready for occupancy this Wednesday, with assignment of all units expected by the end of the week.

Married students and faculty members without children will occupy the 116 two-room-and-bath non-housekeeping apartments, while cafeteria dining room service has been contracted for on a 14-meal guaranteed attendance basis at $16.50 a week. Rents will range from $25 to $80 averaging $65.

"In Cambridge," Reynolds continued, "additional constructions are the addition of a fifty-bed ward to Stillman infirmary, addition of new offices for the Hygiene Department on Holyoke Street, and the erection of the two Quonset Huts for the Nursery School for Veterans' Children at 33 Kirkland Street."

Concerning costs, which officials have previously estimated would amount to $1,000,000 for all projects, Reynolds states that "figures previously given. . . are proving to be on the low side,"