Soccer

Time is growing short for soccer coach James "Mac" MacDonald who sends his free swinging charges into action against WPI Friday. If trends of the times are any indication, the Crimson will field a topnotch squad for that opening clash despite the fact that MacDonald hasn't yet had a chance to instruct his boys in the art of guiding a hard, round ball through enemy goal posts.

Like other Varsity coaches throughout the country, "Mac" can depend on two factors to help him shape a winning combination from the misfit musclemen who are hidden, needle-like, in the esthetic Cambridge area.

Wartime experience, especially for Navy vets, pointed up the fascination and satisfaction soccer offers. These same veterans, returning in prodigious quantities, provide the kind and amount of material to make a coach purr with unashamed glee.

Bob Purinton, who gained experience playing with the '42 Freshman team; transfer Mavor of Ohio State, a likely man to fill the center half position; and Al Merck of the '43 Freshman squad are among the promising returnees.

Holdovers from last year's team like Manuel Aguirre-Roca, Carlos Blanco, and Tom Ragle are an added been to soccer-student Macdonald.