Revision Committee Offers To Meet With Council Unit, Urges Constitution Reform

Pledges Not to Disband Group Until Agreement on Essential Points at Issue Is Reached

The Committee for Constitutional Revision, originated during the summer term at the instance of the Crimson, Liberal Union, and AVC to draft a proposed Constitution for eventual adoption by the Student Council, met last night and unanimously endorsed the completed document

"We offer to meet in joint conference with the Council," asserted Raymond J. Considine '48, of Leverett House, chairman of the revisionists, "to discuss the relationship of our popularly elected committee and that of the Council.

Considine explained that his Committee, an outgrowth of wide undergraduate sentiment that the Council could be made more democratic, would keep its original pledge not to disband until its suggestions are duly considered by the Council. He reiterated the group's two basic recommendations: to supplant elections-at-large by direct mechanisms and to allot to the basic units of the undergraduate body, the Houses, proportional delegation to the Council.

Common Ground

Following the joint meeting, Considine stated, the Revision Committee will know whether sufficient common ground exists between the Council and its critics for the latter to break up and consolidate forces with the Constitutional Committee of the Council itself. Headed by Edric Weld '46; of Leverett House, this unit was named Monday night by Council President Levin H. Campbell in a gesture of self-reform.

Considine said that the Revision Committee is not in direct opposition to that appointed by Campbell, and its desires lie "not in impeding the Student Council's proposals but in aiding and abetting their task."

Revision Committee members in addition to Considine are William H. Bozman, HLU; Andrew S. Crichton, representing Dunster House; Joseph D. Everingham, Kirkland; George R. Hooper, Winthrop; Walter Flynn, Dudley; Jules Rabin, AVC; Joseph Sharlitt, CRIMSON assistant editorial chairman; Marvin S: Traub, Adams; and Jack Waller, Lowell.

Looking forward to a prompt meeting with the Council Committee, Considine voiced the hope that "we may reach mutual agreement upon the issues, which will guarantee that the Council will democratically represent the student body of Harvard College."