Student Council Appeals to Bursar For Extension on Non-Veteran Bills

Letter From Kuhn Says Hardship Caused by Speedy Collection; Perry Defends Ten Year Policy and Scores Council Action; Cannot Change Rulings Set by Corporation, He Says

In its first 1946-47 appeal to the Administration on behalf of the student body, the Student Council made a formal request yesterday to Roy V. Perry, University Bursar, to grant a mass extension on all non-veterans' term bills. The bills, which were included in registration envelopes Thursday, Friday, and Monday, are due today, thus giving old students only two days to produce funds for them.

Perry saw little hope of alleviating the difficulty in an informal statement to the CRIMSON. "Any alteration in the policy," he said, "would have to be directed by a vote of the corporation. It is out of my hands."

Roger S. Kuhn, Council treasurer, who wrote the leiter for the group, pointed out that regulations ordinarily prohibit granting of extensions to individual undergraduates. He asked that Perry, if he could not postpone the due-date for all men, grant extension liberally in cases of hardship.

In answer, perry accused the Council of ignoring the realities of the situation, claiming that the two-day policy had been followed for ten years or more. In addition, he emphasized, the rule does not affect veterans, who make up almost three-fourths of the student body.

"We realize," said Kuhn, "that cases of real hardship under this rule are rare, especially if administered with due leniency. But this year particularly, when waiting lines are longer than ever, many students are delayed in opening checking accounts in Cambridge, and many do not come with sufficient ready funds to meet this bill.

"We feel that any such rule which causes many students considerable inconvenience without any apparent compensatory benefit to the University might well be changed."