New Rules Limit Use Of Tennis Courts for Net Squad, Freshmen

The University's "gentlemen-athletes" who like to spend their spare moments batting around a tennis ball will have to seek diversion elsewhere for the present, Jack Barnaby '32, tennis coach revealed last night.

With the number of tennis courts available down from the pre-war 90 to 18, the of those remaining will be limited to members of the Varsity, the freshman squad, and freshmen taking physical education, he said. All other students will be allowed on the courts only after the other groups have been handled.

Anticipating severe criticism of this new policies from all sides, Barnaby revealed the contents of a letter, written to the business school publication "frankly apoligizing" for this action.

The letter pointed out that when the courts were available for tournament and casual players, in additions to the squads, they were barely able to handle the load. Therefore, under present conditions, with enrollments high and facilities cut down by the veterans' housing program, the normal arrangement is out of the question. There just isn't enough room.

In view of these facts, the University feels able to maintain only "the core of the program." Varsity tennis will be untouched "because of the benefit from the intercollegiate program," and Freshman tennis will be kept "because it is an integral part of the hygiene program, and because if it were discontinued several hundred men would be thrust into other sports, already very crowded."