O'Donnell Joins 'A' Eleven As Varsity Polishes Attack

Connecticut Squad to Arrive Today for Session Opener; No Changes in First Line

By Irvin M. Horowitz

Wingback Cleo O'Donnell, elected captain of the Varsity eleven on Wednesday night, was elevated to the "A" team yesterday, as Coach Dick Harlow sent his squad through its last long workout before the season opener against Connecticut on Saturday.

The U-Conn Huskies are due to arrive today at the Hotel Lenox, after which they make their first Soldiers Field appearance at 2:15 o'clock, when they bare their teeth and look as fierce as possible for the benefit of the press photographers.

Harlow's elevation of O'Donnell to the first squad marked the only change in his "A" eleven, and unless he decides on several last-minute alternations, it seems probable that the Varsity team at the kickoff Saturday will be as follows:

Flynn and Fiorentino at Ends

Wally Flynn and John Fiorentino at end: Ned Dewey and Eddie Davis at tackle; Nick Rodis and Jim Feinberg at guards; Chuck Glynn at center; Frank Miklos, quarterback; O'Donnell, wing-back; Bob Cowen, fullback; and Pete Petrillo, tailback.

Yesterday's practice session was a virtual repetition of earlier workouts this week. There was no scrimmage, since too many of Harlow's possible starters have been banged up in previous contact sessions. A long passing drill saw George Boston throwing with consistent accuracy, and the punting practice featured, as usual, Wally Flynn, Bill Jackson, and Walt Coulson.

Still in some doubt is the status of Emil Drvaric, the rugged guard from Milwaukee. Drvaric has been in uniform, but has done very little work with the Varsity squad. It remains to be seen how much action, if any, he will see on Saturday. Jim Feinberg is slated to start in his spot.