Martin's Record Called Disgrace By Woman Foe

Terming Republican Joseph Martin's Congressional voting the "blackest record" in recent political history, Martha Sharp, 14th District Democratic candidate opposing Martin for the House of Representatives, told a meeting of the Harvard Liberal Union in Phillips Brooks House last night that electing "progressives" this fall is essential for American prosperity.

A resident of Wellesley and mother of two children, Mrs. Sharp carried on relief work in France, Czechoslovakia, and Portugal for both the American Red Cross and the Unitarian Service Committee during 1939, 1940, and 1945. If successful, her campaign will unseat a GOP stalwart--present House Minority Leader--who will become Speaker of the House in the event of a Republican sweep.

Mrs. Sharp pointed to Martin's opposition to the fortification of Guam in 1941 and to his firm position against pro-labor and price control legislation. She quoted Wilson Wyatt, National Housing Expediter, as telling her in Washington last week that "I'd like to come up and stump your district. It's largely because of one man in Washington that the veterans housing program is 3 1/2 months behind schedule--because of one man, Joseph W. Martin of Attleboro."

"Martin never looks at the merit of a measure," said Mrs. Sharp. "He can't, because he's House Republican Leader. America is at the crossroads, and my campaign is against that kind of leadership."

An ardent Zionist who worked with Youth Aliyah in Europe and who has recently helped to found the "Children for Palestine" organization, Mrs. Sharp ridiculed charges that she is anti-Semetic.