Security System Diminishes Student Chances for Illicit Preview of Exams

"You can go ahead and try slipping ten dollars to one of the printers if you want to," sneered J. W. McFarlane, chief of the printing department at the University Press, "but you won't get very far."

He was referring to the invulnerability of the College's security system maintained to safeguard examinations and testing material from malicious students. "I've been here many years and not only has there been no trouble in my tenure, but I've never even heard of any before I got here," he mused complacently.

Lock and Key Tactics Used

Making no secret of the University's methods, the printing department head nevertheless painted a discouraging picture for anyone thinking of taking the easy way out. "We get exams from the head of each course, lock it up until it's ready to be printed, and then afterwards lock up all the printed copies in our vault."

Next step, and perhaps the weak link in the chain of secrecy which surrounds the hated documents, is to send one copy to the professors for approval of correction. McFarlane did not divulge any information about who the trusted messengers carrying the mail to the printer and professors are, or whether the use of Briggs armored cars is necessary in returning the examinations from the printer. No difficulties have arisen yet with the absent-mindedness of the professors themselves.

He who fails to filch the goods at this point is lost for good for from then on the exams remain behind lock and key until brought forth on the appointed day of reckoning to serve their purpose.