Talmadge Continues Opposition Against Ellis Arnall's Successor; Democrats Join in Budget Slash

Talmadge Holds Out

ATLANTA, January 19--Herman Talmadge, whose claim to governorship of Georgia is currently challenged by M. E. Thompson, declared tonight that he would continue to hold the office and would "not yield to any threat or bow to force."

"We are amply able to defend the governor's office and will do so if necessary," he said.

Talmadge issued the statement several hours after Thompson at a press conference had asserted his intention of demanding possession of the Capitol executive chambers at 9 A.M. tomorrow.

Thompson, 43-year-old former school teacher, was sworn in yesterday as Lieutenant Governor and proclaimed himself acting Governor of Georgia by virtue of Ellis Arnall's resignation earlier in the day.

Talmadge's statement tonight charged that his opponents "are oven boasting of the fact they have stacked the Supreme Court of Georgia against us."

The promise of litigation to prevent Talmadge from spending state money came as Thompson supporters hastened to bring the issue before the Georgia Supreme Court and Talmadge, although contending that the tribunal is without jurisdiction, said he would abide by the decision.