College Cuts Red Cross In Council Charity Poll

Incomplete Returns Give Foreign Needs Top Share of Fund

Undergraduate donors told Student Council solicitors what to do with their money for the first time in the history of the Service Fund this week as a halfway poll-report last night showed preference for more international distribution of the funds.

At the same time, Council Treasurer Ray A. Goldberg '48 disclosed that the Fund's door-to-door canvass had reaped more than $1500 to date, elevating the total for this fall's drive to approximately $19,500.

The Red Cross and the Community Fund, each recipient of 40 percent of the charity donations arbitrarily made by the Council last year, were cut 50 percent, with the Red Cross obviously suffering from veteran adversity. Some penned-in comments said that the Red Cross should get "less than nothing."

Poll Incomplete

The poll, which, Goldberg said appears to have increased participation in the Fund, was distributed in the Houses and the Union on Wednesday; but final tabulation cannot be made until the returns are complete from blanks mailed to commuting students. Goldberg revealed that 1500 have responded so far and that 3000 are expected overall.

According to the incomplete returns, local charities should receive 25 percent of the allocated $17,000; national, 37.25 percent, and foreign, the highest at 37.75 percent.

March of Dimes Holds Own

The March of Dimes (infantile paralysis) was voted about the same as last year--11.3 percent--and three newly-listed charities also shared heavily in preferred disposition. The Cancer Fund was favored with 17.3 percent, International Exchange Scholarships with 16.5, and the Tuberculosis Fund with 10.9.

In the Service Fund drive, Massachusetts Hall, canvassed by Christopher May '51 and Francis Baker '51, last night became the first College residence with 100 percent participation as the Yard reported $634 and the House $900.