Purple Battles to Wipe Out Memory of 1946 Trimming

By Holy CROSS Tomahawk

Holy Cross will journey down the pike to Cambridge today to engage in a bitter athletic joust with Harvard. They will be very serious minded young men who will carry the Royal Purple onto the Stadium Lawn, and two football games will be uppermost in their minds.

When the Crusaders came to Cambridge last year, their football fortunes were as low as the bottom of the sea. They had just absorbed three jolts out of their first four tries, something unheard of in football at the little South Worcester Institution, and they were counting on nothing less than a victory over Harvard to snap them out of this spin.

This then is the other ball game that will be on the minds of co-captains Bobby Sullivan and Ray Ball, and particularly the eight other fourth-year men who will be getting in their last licks at John Harvard today.

Sullivan Will Lead Attack

Sullivan will be the Purple's biggest offensive gun, if he is sufficiently recovered from the Working over he absorbed in the Villanova tiff last week. He is a rocking power runner who will also take plenty of chasing if he gets into the secondary, and his ability as a passer and a kicker make him even more dangerous.

Veto Kissel, a crunching fullback in the true Osmanski tradition, will undoubtedly get the nod at full. Bobby Farrell, a former Regimental sprint champ while at Boston English High, will be at right half for the Cross and, if the Crusaders receive, Walter Brennan will be pulling the QB strings of Ox DaGrosa's T-formation.

End Squad Weak

The end situation is still uncertain, as that department is pretty lean after the injuries sustained last week. Starter Bob Barton is definitely out with a couple of cracked ribs, and Tom Kelleher, promising Sophomore end from Philadelphia, has been on the shelf with two gimpy knees and a heavy cold. If Kelleher isn't ready, Winthrop Whip Ralliday will start at the right flank and Tom Costello will take over Barton's left end slot.

That is the Holy Cross picture. They have heard of and deeply regret Harvard's loss of its great Captain Moravee and the other injuries the Crimson carried out of the Virginia debacle. But this Crusader team still has the utmost respect for Dick Harlow and his Harvard team, and since football is football, is doubtful if The Purple will reflect their sympathies in their play this afternoon.