Strong Leverett Squad Overwhelms Lowell for Second Straight Victory

Leverett House won its second straight inter-House football game yesterday in a 19-0 romp over an overwhelmed Lowell team and flashed a powerful offense that bodes no good to any challengers to the Bunnys' right to the Straus Trophy. On a neighboring field one of the outstanding of those challengers put on a similarly awesome display when Eliot downed Adams 24-0.

The Leverett parade of touchdowns started early in the game as Colin Bently plunged across the goal stripe in the first period. The Bunnies kept right on going in the second quarter, scoring this time via the blocked punt route. The whole Leverett line broke through to block the kick and Bucky Thorn fell on the ball in the end zone. Bob Zimmerman bucked for the extra point.

Third Period Score

A Bob Zimmerman to Pete Dubie pass ended the scoring in the third quarter. Moose Chilcott, a fugitive from both the Dean's Office and the Varsity football squad, used his 217 pounds to such good effect for Leverett that he succeeded in breaking the third opposing nose since the inception of the season.

The Jumbos drove close three times in the first half only to be staved off by the herculean Gold Coast defense. On the last of these three drives the Eliots tried a field goal which missed just by inches.

The dam broke however in the third canto when three different Jumbo backs crossed the double striped chalk line into the end zone. Austie Lyne opened the deluge, sweeping around end for six points and the first touchdown.

Dave McGiffert chipped in with his contribution a few moments later, running back an Adams punt on a scoring play that covered 60 yards. Just before the period ended an Adams pass ended in disaster when Dave Abbot intercepted it and galloped 50 yards to the goal line.

The coup de grace, a McGiffert to Carrol pass for a fourth period score, turned out to be highly superfluous. By the time they had left the field the Gold Coasters had only one first down to show for their afternoon's offensive efforts. House Grid Records   Won  Lost Eliot  3  0 Kirkland  3  0 Leverett  2  0 Adams  2  1 Lowell  1  2 Yard  0  1 '51 B  0  1 Dunster  0  2 Dudley  0  2 Winthrop  0  2