Doctors Reveal Houston, Kenary, Pierce Unable to Play Saturday Against Indians

Varsity Smooths Pass Offense, Signals in Lengthy Workout

By Stephen N. Cady

Doctor Quigley and his associates went into their important, mid week huddle at Dillon Field House yesterday, and cam up with some bad news, Iceman halfback Jim Kenary and first-line tackles Howie Houston and Chet pierce will definitely not play against Dartmouth Saturday.

This gives Dick Harlow precisely two days to find a new brace of starting tackles. And with Holy Cross hangovers precluding any vigorous contact work for the entire week, he will probably have to go along with past game performances in making his choice.

Markham Set for Starting Role

Dean Markham, used mostly on defense this year, appears to have hit his stride, and John Gorczynski, who strayed from the fold recently, is also showing well. Nick Rodis will probably play a lot of tackle against the Big Green, too, but the coaches will take every precaution to see that he doesn't reinjure himself.

Yesterday's practice followed the general pattern used so far this week. The A and B teams polished defense against the Indian plays as simulated by the Freshmen, there were passing drills, and some punting exercises.

Gannon Boots 'Em

The possibility of Chip Gannon's emerging as a tripe-threat back developed after the Chipper had gotten off some long, rainbow boots in the kicking practice. Noonan, Moffie, and Leo Flynn shared the passing chores, and when Soldiers Field finally blacked out, the squad moved under the floodlights for signal drills.

Coach Harlow is getting quite a laugh over the current rumors about "little Dartmouth." According to Dick, the Big Green squad of 43 men averages 190 pounds and will outweigh the Crimson by about 12 pounds a man.