Team Nixes Rally And Leaves Green Spotlight to Band

"We'd rather have no rally than a poor one like last week's," said Varsity football manager John P. Judkins '47 yesterday, thereby shifting tonight's pre-Dartmouth game festivities spotlight o the University Band's Sanders Theatre concert.

Only a faithful handful of rooters showed up for the Holy Cross rally, and the team management decided to save "what little football spirit there is" for the Princeton and Yale tilts, rather than make the rallies "too routine" an institution.

Eats by Radcliffe

Perhaps to offset any undue sobriety of a rally-less Friday night a bevy of Radcliffe, usherettes will dish up refreshments between the musical numbers tonight, band officials announced. Nothing stronger than cider and coke, however, will be donated by the Band.

Dartmouth songs and medleys as well as a few marches new to the outfit's repertoire will be featured in the concert. Morton Gould's "Pavanne" and a Prokofleff march will lend a dignified air to the proceedings.

The familiar baton of Malcolm H. Homes '28, dean of the New England Conservatory of Music, will conduct the 130-man band in its first Sanders concert of the season. Symphony Hall will hear the group sometime this winter.