Taft Views 'Nothing Wrong' In Hollywood Investigation

G.O.P. Chief Blames Big Noise on 'Reds'

Senator Robert A. Taft thinks that if Congressmen look a little silly during "investigations" such as the current one concerning Hollywood's subversives it is only because "a bunch of Communists out for trouble can make anyone look undignified."

The Ohio Presidential contender hastened to add that he "hadn't seen anything particularly wrong with the publicity" attending the Thomas Committee's sessions.

Taft came to Cambridge yesterday for a luncheon the Law School Faculty whipped up to honor him and the forty-eight state attorneys general holding their national convention in Boston.

Parries Eisenhower Job

His eyes fluttered and he visibly blanched in the face of a loaded question asking whether he objected "in principle" to the idea of a military man in the White House. "It depends on the man's character," he ventured, "and on who he is." On General Dwight D. Eisenhower and on former Minnesota governor Harold E. Stassen, Taft kept a tight-lipped "no comment."

A Law School graduate himself in 1913, the Senator admitted that his first collegiate loyalties stem from undergraduate days at Yale. "But I'm willing to stand up for Harvard Law," he chuckled, "even though I can't stand up very loudly while I'm on the Board of the Yale Corporation."

Son Robert Jr. '42 chose the College.

Attacks Bureaucracy

At the Faculty Club, the Republican Senate policy-maker pleaded the case of grass-roots "freedom from bureaucracy" in an off-the-cuff ten-minute talk. "No matter what course we chart in this crucial hour," he declared, "the one inviolate must be the power of communities to run their own affairs."

Although his aid to education bill is already on the calendar for the '48 Congress, Taft guesses that other items in the Republican social legislation program will wait until the GOP gains control of the Executive Branch which he expects by 1949.