Vets Will Get First Checks In November

Payment Will Cover September, October

Subsistence cheeks for the University's 9000 veterans will start coming through the mails in the first week of November.

Miss Margaret Witt, spokesman for the Veterans Office on the subject of checks, said yesterday that, using a new system, the Veterans Administration expects to have money in the students hands as early as November 1.

She explained, however, that this applies only to students who were receiving government aid either last spring or during the summer. New veteran students will have to wait a little longer.

The first payment is expected to cover the October subsistence allowance plus the allowance for the latter part of September.

Busy Filling Forms

Miss Witt also disclosed that the Veterans Office is currently doing more extra work for the VA than ever before in order to expedite checks. She pointed to the sheafs of forms filled out by veterans at registration, the handling of which, she said, would be finished by October 11. The data will then be forwarded to the VA.

It was further explained that the checks received by some veterans on October 1 were being awarded for the end of the summer term, which extended six days into September. The check should also have covered the 15 days leave between terms if applied for.

Miss Witt commented that the clearing up of the summer's late-check difficulties should also serve to speed up fall subsistence. She said that when the Vets Office survey on how many students were behind in checks this summer showed between 25 and 35 percent, the information had been relayed to the VA's New England branch of the Vocational Rehabilitation and Educational Section.