Spender to Speak In Dunster Forum

Stephen Spender, leading British poet, will make his second public appearance here in two days when he participates in a symposium on "The Intellectual Future of Europe" in the Dunster House Dining hall at 8:15 o'clock tonight.

Nearly 1000 listeners gathered in New Lecture Hall yesterday to hear Spender read selections from his works, including 'Ultima Ratio Regnum" and a long in complete poem, titled "Vienna." He was introduced to the audience by Theodore Spencer, Boylston professor of Rhetoric and Oratory, who termed Spender "one of those rare Englishmen who is also a good European."

The British poet, who is currently teaching at Sarah Lawrence College, will share tonight's panel with Karl Vietor, Kuno Francke Professor of Germanic Art and Culture, and Renato Poggioli, Associate professor of Comparative Literature, who is American editor of the Italian quarterly, "Inventario." The Dunster House Forum will sponsor the discussion.

In yesterday's reading, Spender first spoke briefly on the factors influencing his generation. He said that the chief stimuli on such poets as Auden, McNeice, and himself were the economic depression and the challenge of T. S. Eliot's "The Waste Land."

The forum, which will be open to the public, will be preceded by a tea n honor of Spender, stated James M. Buxbaum '49, co-chairman of the forum, last night. The Dunster House discussions have been going on since the spring of 1946, and are held once a week.