Harlow Makes 4 Backfield Switches

Kenary Goes to Left Half; Coach Praises Pierce and Houston

By Robert W. Morgan jr.

Dick Harlow made a four-way switch in his backfield yesterday afternoon on Soldiers Field after Saturday's near-miss against Boston University.

Early season dopesters found the Crimson rife with backfield talent but weak in the line. The B.U. contest, however, brought a rapid revision of estimates, and Harlow is now working to secure greater depth in his backfield.

O'Donnell Back at Quarter

The changes found the unified approval of the coaching staff before they were made. Gibby Warren has been moved from tailback to wingback behind Chip Gannon; Jim Kenary and Ken O'Donnell have returned to their former positions at left half and quarterback respectively; and Paul Shafer is now being groomed at fullback behind Vince Moravec and Paul Lazzaro.

As for the line, Harlow said his tackles were a major factor in its rise to prominence. "Chester Pierce has come along splendidly," the coach said. "Howie Houston is magnificent, and the guards are coming along well." Among the backs, he is pleased-with the running of Paul Lazzaro.

Practice Under Lights

During practice, the A team ran through light workouts and signal drills, and defended against Virginia plays as portrayed by the C team. The B team scrimmaged Chief Boston's Jayvees. When darkness made even the white balls invisible, the squad moved under the Stadium lights for the second time this fall.

Of those who were injured Saturday, the doctors yesterday pronounced Emil Drvaric and Stretch Mazzone as "probable starters" against Virginia, and Gannon "as in A-1 condition." End Bob Kennedy was also rated as a probable opponent for the Cavaliers, but the availability of Nick Rodis is still "highly questionable."

The oppressive heat of Saturday continued on through yesterday afternoon. It may prove valuable conditioning for the forthcoming jaunt across the Mason-Dixon line.